Friday, September 09, 2011

Bubbles!

Here are a couple more brushes I developed that I use somewhat frequently. They are more effect brushes than sketching brushes, but when you need some bubbly texture they can be quite helpful.


There are two brushes in this set of Tool Presets. They both lay down a swath of dots with hues that vary slightly from the chosen color. They build up really nicely and I recommend layering them up with variations on color for some really nice effects.







The brush called "Watery Bubbles Bleach" uses an 'additive' blending mode which blows out the luminance to create some nice highlight effects. Both of these brushes work really well in combination with the 'Water Color' style in an earlier post below.







Here are a couple style frames I made for a project a couple years ago. Alas, I ended up not using the effect because the brushes were too difficult to animate, but I think the frames sure came out nice.




Please take a look at the blog sidebar for instructions on installing them. Enjoy! 

Download Watery Bubble Brushes Here

Edit: If anyone is interested in seeing the film that the above style frames were taken from, visit Coalition of the Willing, a film that discusses how we can use new internet technologies to leverage the powers of activists, experts, and ordinary citizens in collaborative ventures to combat climate change. I designed and directed a segment on the 60's.

9 comments:

  1. Hey there!

    I discovered your blog a couple days ago, and I just came back to thank you for posting these brushes, only to find that you just uploaded a new one!

    I'm an animation student (studying in Brooklyn) and I just started working on the backgrounds for my senior film. I have to say, they've become absolutely indispensable to the look of my film, and they've made the process much more fun! Playing around with them got me really inspired, and they've actually shaped the look of my film.

    I hope you don't mind me using them on a big project like this. I haven't finished any backgrounds yet, but when I do I'll upload them here: http://krkirschner.tumblr.com/

    Thanks so much :)

    -Katie K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, not only do I not mind but I think it's totally awesome! I can't wait to see the film. Be sure to post a link if you put it online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't be done until April, so I don't even know where I'm going to put it once I'm done (online or send it to festivals or what), but I will definitely be putting up production stills along the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:39 AM

    Just stumbled upon this blog, having read Natasha Allegri's tumblr blog. I love your brushes!! :D *Bookmarked!* Keep up the amazing work :) I was drawing this up for Natasha, as a gift http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w61/ruby_dragon_JD/001.png - she's inspired my work :) And I looove drawing in Photoshop & Illustrator, using brushes that help the composition look sketched!! YOU'RE also very inspiring :D I'll be back :3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:57 PM

    Hi, I've downloaded all of your other tools and love them! I use cs4 and tried to install this one but it says my version is not compatible :(. what version do you use with this one? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, I am currently using CS5. I wasn't aware that this tool had any CS5 specific features, but I guess I must have tweaked it at some point. I hope you are able to upgrade; Photoshop CS5 is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always tried it firstly on CS4, it didn't work. But after installing CS5 it all works, thanks you very much for qualitative feature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This brush seems to be gone :( Anyone have a backup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the link must have broken. I've still got it somewhere. I'll fix it asap.

      Delete